We've all been there. The dreaded fitness plateau. For the last 5 days, you have weighed the exact same amount – well, one day you actually weighed more – even though you've been working out and resisting all the cupcakes and pizza your co-workers have been eating.
You've been so good, yet you're stuck. Totally frustrating and de-motivating.
With the countdown already begun, it’s now time to get tough and make some changes — because you know that old saying about doing the same thing and expecting different results? Well, it applies to training, too.
This plateau is not going to beat you. You are going to beat it.
So here are my top 5 tips for anyone who’s been stuck in a fitness plateau:
1) Be honest. Are you really doing all of your cardio? Have you only been doing45 minutes instead of 60 minutes? Change that today.
2) Measure your food. We all get lazy with our meal plans and begin estimating instead of measuring. When the plateau hits, get back to basics and double check your portions.
3) Eat only what’s on your plan. This means no extra bites of anything. And no extras like ketchup, mustard or salad dressing.
4) Increase your weights. The more muscle mass you have, the more calories you burn. So if you can easily get through your workout, it’s time to increase how much you lift.
5) Pump up the intensity. This is simple. If your body has adjusted to what your doing, you’ve got to push it to the next level. Move up a level on the cardio machine or run a little faster on the treadmill. I tell myself the only way to get over the plateau is to “run” over it.
Believe me, these things work.